¡Ay, caramba! Delve into the manic energy and rich culture of one of the world’s most colossal, frenetic metropolises: Mexico City! Immerse yourself in spectacular architecture that contrasts traditional style and modern masterworks brilliantly. Revel in the city’s raucous gay nightlife. And take a break from the madness of it all when we venture through nearby natural and archaeological wonders. This is one city escape you won’t soon forget, and our March 2017 departure will be hosted by The Gay & Lesbian Review. For more information, please refer to the Trip Notes.
DEPARTURES & PRICES:
• Visit Teotihuacan, an ancient Meso-American city
• Experience a traditional Temazcal (pre-Hispanic steam bath)
• Enjoy a traditional Mexican dinner with a local gay couple
• Delve into Mexico City’s vibrant gay nightlife
• Take a tour through Frida Kahlo’s Casa Azul
• Explore the southern district of Xochimilco on a Trajinera canal boat ride
• March 2017 departure hosted by The Gay & Lesbian Review (refer to trip notes for more details)
Hola! Welcome to Mexico City. You’ll be met at the airport by an OUT Adventures representative who will help you transfer to the centrally located Room-Mate Valentina Hotel. We have no activities planned until our essential group meeting at 6PM, and this will be followed by an included dinner at a restaurant famous for its seafood and ceviche. Depending on how all are feeling, we may follow the meal with a few cocktails.
This morning we'll transfer to the holy city of Teotihuacan ("birthplace of the gods") for a guided tour of the pyramids. After an included lunch, we’ll partake in a traditional sweat lodge experience. We’ll then head back to the city, and one of the World’s 50 Best restaurants, for an optional dinner.
Today begins with a guided walk through the city. We'll learn about its history, marvel at the architecture, and visit the Cathedral Metropolitana, the Palacio Nacional, The Templo Mayor and Bellas Artes with some behind-the-scenes tours. A leisurely optional lunch will be followed by a stop at the famous Downtown Hotel for optional drinks. This evening you may join another optional dinner near the hotel before we head out to experience the gay nightlife nearby.
Today, we discover the southern districts of Coyoacán, San Ángel & Xochimilco. Lunch will be served on a traditional trajinera – a colourful gondola-like boat – then we'll visit the world-renowned Frida Kahlo Casa Azul. Free time then awaits in the main square of Coyoacan, where you can explore sensational ice-cream and coffee houses, the artisanal bazaar, or San Juan Bautista´s famous Church. We have another optional dinner tonight, and drinks are highly recommended as it’s Saturday night, when the locals head out!
Enjoy the morning and early afternoon strolling the many parks nearby. Later today we’ll meet to walk towards the Museum of Anthropology for a guided tour (many pieces in the collection date from the pre-Hispanic period). After wrapping at the museum, we’ll venture to a local gay couple’s home for either a cooking class (if our group is less than 10) or a cooking demonstration (for 10+ people). We’ll chat, eat, and drink before one final night in Mexico City.
There are no activities planned today, so you are free to depart at your leisure. Safe travels!
• Arrival transfer to accommodation booked through OUT Adventures
• Group leader from beginning to end of tour
• 5 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners
• 4-star or higher accommodation (5 nights)
• Mexico City walking tours
• Guided tour of Teotihuacan
• Trajinera boat tour in Xochimilco
• Entrance fees to: Cathedral Bell Tower, Bellas Artes, Templo Mayor, Teotihuacan, Frida Kahlo Casa Azul
• Temazcal experience
• Travel insurance package covering medical, trip interruption & baggage loss
• International Airfare
• Departure Transfer
• Meals & Activities not mentioned in itinerary
• Gratuities for Tour Leader ($30-$60 USD)
• Gratuities for drivers, hotel staff, porters (approximately $20-$40 USD)
• Video and photography fees at sites, if applicable