Latest travel updates on Coronavirus (COVID19) here
The world has been upended, but our support to you—our friends and clients—is steadfast. Alongside our international partners, we’ve been working tirelessly to replan, refocus and re-envision the Out Adventures experience. We have implemented new flexible Booking Conditions. Updated our health and safety procedures. And, we’ve spent the past few months finalizing our adventures through to the end of 2022. While we don’t know when it’ll be safe to travel again, we do know how important it is to dream about that day. When you are ready to travel, we will be here ready to help.
This page will be updated as regularly as the situation requires, but please do not hesitate to reach out if you require any further clarification. LAST UPDATED: December 9, 2020
Given our mission to both prioritize our guest’s safety and do our part to mitigate the spread of coronavirus, we are suspending all tours departing before May 1, 2021. At present, all tours departing after May 1, 2021 are running as planned.
Out Adventures’ founder Robert Sharp personally penned this blog post on the state of our company and the gay travel industry at large. The post outlines our temporary Booking Conditions as well as the steps we’ve taken to help mitigate the effects of COVID-19 on our guests.
We have been working tirelessly with our local partners including guides, transportation providers, accommodations and activity operators to develop policies and procedures that guarantee a safe experience. Please read our health and safety promise.
Out Adventures is a licensed member of the Travel Industry Council of Ontario, and all funds paid to us remain in trust until date of departure, minus deposits paid to suppliers. This means you can book a future tour with us in full confidence that all refunds will be honoured, in accordance with our booking conditions, should we need to postpone your tour.
Out Adventures is following the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), the US State Department, the Government of Canada and the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We will consider travel advisories along with requirements for inbound travel in the destinations we visit, and if it is not feasible or safe to operate a departure, we will postpone or cancel it with a minimum of 60 days notice.
As stated, the health and safety of our travellers is our top priority. If you have concerns about how coronavirus may affect your travel plans, email firstname.lastname@example.org.